Responsible for the timely submission of technical or professional medical claims to insurance companies including physician offices, hospitals, nursing homes, or other health care facility.
- Review patient bills for accuracy and completeness and obtain any missing information
- Knowledge of insurance guidelines especially Medicare and state Medicaid
- Follow up on unpaid claims within standard billing cycle timeframe
- Check each insurance payment is for accuracy and compliance with contract discount
- Call insurance companies regarding any discrepancy in payments if necessary
- Identify and bill secondary or tertiary insurances
- All accounts are to be reviewed for insurance or patient follow-up
- Answer all patient or insurance telephone inquiries pertaining to assigned accounts.
High School diploma. Knowledge of business and accounting processes usually obtained from an Associates in Business Administration, Accounting or Health Care Administration preferred.
- Minimum of 1 to 3 years in a medical office setting.
Salary amounts vary based on years of experience, education and job location. Use the Salary Comparison and Salary Calculator Tool to evaluate the average salary for this and other medical office jobs.
Current Job Openings:
Find current job openings for a Medical Biller and similar positions.