Responsible for the timely submission of technical or professional medical claims to insurance companies including physician offices, hospitals, nursing homes, or other health care facility.
- Review patient bills for accuracy and completeness and obtain any missing information
- Knowledge of insurance guidelines especially Medicare and state Medicaid
- Follow up on unpaid claims within standard billing cycle timeframe
- Check each insurance payment is for accuracy and compliance with contract discount
- Call insurance companies regarding any discrepancy in payments if necessary
- Identify and bill secondary or tertiary insurances
- All accounts are to be reviewed for insurance or patient follow-up
- Answer all patient or insurance telephone inquiries pertaining to assigned accounts.
High School diploma. Knowledge of business and accounting processes usually obtained from an Associates in Business Administration, Accounting or Health Care Administration preferred.
- Minimum of 1 to 3 years in a medical office setting.