According to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, February 29, 2012 is the last day for eligible professionals to register and attest to receive an Incentive Payment for 2011.Key points to remember:
- Eligible professionals can receive up to $44,000 over five years under the Medicare EHR Incentive Program. To get the maximum incentive payment, Medicare eligible professionals must begin participation by 2012.
- For 2015 and later, Medicare eligible professionals, eligible hospitals, and CAHs that do not successfully demonstrate meaningful use will have a payment adjustment in their Medicare reimbursement.
- The Medicaid EHR Incentive Program is voluntarily offered by individual states and territories and may begin as early as 2011, depending on the state.
- Eligible professionals can receive up to $63,750 over the six years that they choose to participate in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program.
- The last year a Medicaid eligible hospital may begin the program is 2016.